If we go by definition then VOIP means Voice Over IP or Voice Over Internet Protocol. VOIP means any communication that is made over the internet just like a telephone. VOIP has the ability to transmit video, audio, messages and other data on the internet in just the same way a telephone transmits audio data.
For what purposes is VOIP used?
Skype has been the VOIP solution that has been very popular among people for a long time now. These are meant for larger business and they use it as an all-in-one package for their communications needs. Because as VOIP solution is very cheap and very much cost effective, it helps businesses to bring down their communication cost. This is the reason why most of the businesses are opting for VOIP instead of the traditional telephone or EPBX.
In order to set up their VOIP solution, organizations are setting up their own virtual server or VOIP VPS with a VPS Hosting provider in order to host their VOIP Server.
In VPS Hosting you can choose from Windows VPS and Linux VPS. Both Windows VPS and Linux VPS perform equally. But it depends on your choice whether you need Windows VPS or a Linux VPS. If you wish to set up a VOIP Server or a VOIP VPS using Asterisk then you will have to opt for a Linux VPS and in case you are installing 3CX on your VOIP VPS then you would need a Windows VPS. So it all depends on your preference whether you would select a Windows VPS or a Linux VPS depending on the application you are installing on your VOIP server.
With the help of a VOIP VPS using VPS Hosting solution businesses can reduce their calling costs, specially the international ones. A VOIP VPS or a VOIP Server offers a fixed cost for all the calls you make whether local or international. This way you can also have a full control over your communications of your organization. You also have multiple users use your VOIP Server or VOIP VPS at the same time. They can do video conferencing and many other things together. Also these VOIP servers have the capability to server 50 to 100 gamers, that are online, to communicate with each other at the same time.
The most popular VOIP Softwares used today
Here is the list of the most popular VOIP VPS software that are used around the world
• Asterisk – Asterisk had been originally designed for Linux but now it can be used on other operating systems as well. Asterisk is a software that is free and turns the computer into a server that has the ability to handle communications. The communication means include voice mail, conference calling, IVR (Interactive voice response) and automatic call distribution.
• TeamSpeak – TeamSpeak is VOIP software that is proprietary. TeamSpeak allows all its users to speak while chatting. This is usually targeted for gamers.
• Elastix – Elastix is an open source server for communication. Elastix has the ability to allow email as well as instant messaging. You can also have a call centre module on Elastix which can handle incoming as well as outgoing communications.
• Trixbox – Trixbox was called as Asterisk@home earlier. Trixbox is a software that is based on Asterisk and runs on a Linux VPS. Trixbox is free and is the most popular Asterisk-based PBX system.
• Ventrilo – Ventrilo is also proprietary software for VOIP. Ventrilo comes with text chat and is generally used by gamers. Gamers also refer Ventrilo as “vent”. Ventrilo also has the capability of running on a variety of operating systems.
The above mentioned VOIP Software are the most commonly used software and there are many more to go. After reading this article we hope you will be able to find the best VOIP VPS or VOIP Server for your needs.
UCVHOST excels in providing VOIP VPS Hosting services (Windows VPS, Cheap VPS, Forex VPS, Email VPS, Plesk VPS, MS SQL VPS, Shared Hosting ). Just visit UCVHOST and talk to our expert support executives who will help you in your needs and will guide you through the whole process.